Friday, October 16, 2015

Funko Fridays: Once Upon a Funko


Funko Pop collecting is suddenly serious business here in the Philippines. It couldn't have been more than a few years ago when local collectors got swept up in the Funko frenzy. It was easy to get into, pretty affordable, and had wide-scale appeal. There was a line for almost every kind of geek there is: movie buffs, gamers, comic collectors, TV fandoms.

I have a vague idea of how I got my first Funko Pop. I know for sure that it was a standard 3.75-inch Maleficent Pop, and I picked it up at a toy convention, but I can't for the life of me remember which con and what year. Weirdly, Maleficent is one of the most common and recognizable Funko Pops there is, even if you're not a hardcore collector. You see it everywhere around here. Toy stores always seem have that life-sized Maleficent Pop.

It didn't mean much to me at the time. I was never in the habit of collecting vinyl toys before; I just bought it because I thought it was cute. I had no idea it would grow into the phenomenon it is now. It wasn't until much later, when I saw its line of upcoming horror Pops in a Funko brochure, that my interest was really piqued. I've become more serious about collecting Funko Pops since then, and there are times I've considered selling or trading my Maleficent Pop for money to buy other must-have Pops, but it's earned enough sentimental value to stay on my shelf.

For now, anyway. I mean, I just saw the Cthulhu Pop with the patina finish.  

2 comments:

        PCFC Seal 150 px