Friday, November 27, 2015

Funko Fridays: Why Do I Collect Funko?


There are two very simple reasons why I got into Funko Pops. First, their horror line is very much the equivalent of vinyl crack; I couldn't quit it even if I wanted to. Every time I think I've bought my last Pop, they announce another one I absolutely have to have! "Now that I have my Pinhead Pop, my collection is finally complete. Oh, well, I can't not get that Exorcist Pop too. Wait, they came out with a new Cthulhu variant? Dammit, Funko!" It's a never-ending cycle. I like to kid around about it, but I'm actually really enjoying myself. I've never been an avid collector of anything before, and the excitement of going through a new product catalogue and and anticipation of awaiting a new Pop release is something I haven't known before. 

Secondly, I've actually tried making my own Funko Pop. And failed miserably. The story is this: I'd gotten my hands on a Funko catalogue long ago, with illustrations of their upcoming horror Pop line. I already had my Maleficent Pop at that point, but I wasn't into the brand up until I laid eyes on its illustration for Funko's Pennywise Pop. I had loved that movie for years, it was a staple of my childhood, and to see a toy brand acknowledge this obscure bit of 90's horror was exhilarating. 


But I digress. My first instinct was to recreate that Pennywise Pop for myself. I signed up for this ridiculously expensive two-day toymaking workshop, where we would shape our own toys using industrial epoxy and sculpting tools. I even brought that Funko catalogue with me for reference. Needless to say, I was bad at it. Like, really bad. The others who joined were professional artists looking to try out a new medium, and I was in awe of how they molded the epoxy so well and wielded the knives so expertly. I was way out of my depth. Looking back, it was kind of hilarious.

Anyway, it was after that exercise in humility that I was struck by the obvious: Why not just buy the Pennywise Pop? Like I said, I had never collected anything before, so I guess the idea of buying hadn't really occurred to me. I wasn't even sure if it was available in my country. But once I tried pre-ordering Pennywise (and Chucky, Freddy, Ash and the Deadite) I was hooked.

1 comment:

  1. I love the horror Pops too!! I also love the Dorbz of them bc they are evil and cute and kinda wrong at all at the same time! Captain Spaulding was my first horror Pop bc I LOVE Devils Rejects and House of 1000 Corpses...

    ReplyDelete

        PCFC Seal 150 px